Thank you for considering our tutoring services. The following list includes our basic policies for individual and small-group tutoring sessions. We ask that you review these before signing up.
For summer of 2021 we are offering the flexibility of lengths of sessions:
As always, you can arrange a one-time appointment with no obligation.
1. Sign-Up Process. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to ask about the availability of time slots. Once the time slot is arranged by e-mail, the person who contacted us will receive the meeting ID for Zoom. It is the student's responsibility to have that ID number to join the session.
2. Length of Sessions. The standard session lasts 55 minutes, and the typical session begins on the hour. For each session, the tutor will spend up to an additional ten minutes to look over any material that the student sends by e-mail to email@example.com. This can include a recently returned test or quiz or a photo of a textbook page. Please send all materials in attachments to one e-mail message at least 24 hours before the session begins. If you think that longer or shorter sessions would better suit your needs, contact us to ask about the availability of time slots.
3. Cost of Sessions. Our standard session for individuals costs $40 when paid for in advance. There is no additional cost for the preparation time and reviewing the materials sent in advance by e-mail. The cost of a longer or shorter will be roughly proportional to this rate.
4. Payment in Advance. We do ask for payment in advance because sessions are conducted through Zoom and because we do not ask for your billing address. If you have scheduled sessions for a month, it is more convenient but not necessary for us to receive payment for the entire month before the first session.
5. Scheduling Flexibility. We believe that students get the most benefit from weekly sessions over the duration of the semester or the course. However, we also offer tutoring arranged by the session. Please understand that time slots arranged on a session-by-session basis may be limited on weekdays or only available on weekends.
6. Notice to Postpone a Session. If you need to postpone a session that has already been arranged, please give us advance notice of at least 48 hours. When we reschedule the session, the same time slot is not guaranteed. There are no refunds for sessions that have already been paid for. If a student misses a session and there has been no advance notice, the session will not be rescheduled unless there has been an emergency or power outage.
7. Small-Group Tutoring. We can accommodate small groups (two to five students) for an additional $4 per student per session. We ask that the students be taking the same course and studying the same topic. Our sessions are not intended to be a virtual study hall for students taking different courses.
8. Technical Issues. Technical problems are rare but they do happen. In the first year of teaching online we have only experienced one interrupted session. It is helpful for us to have a phone number for you on file just in case a session is interrupted. If a session is interrupted and we cannot re-establish contact quickly, the remaining time will be rescheduled. If the remaining time is less than 15 minutes, the time will be added to the next session, if possible.
9. Communication by E-Mail. Please contact us with questions about policies or about the availability of time slots at firstname.lastname@example.org. Students can also use this address to send materials before a session.
10. Weekend Scheduling. Time slots are usually available on weekends. However, it may be difficult to arrange weekly sessions for the same day and time on the weekends. In general, we prefer sessions on Monday through Thursday for students who have a weekly time slot. However, during some months weekly sessions can be scheduled on the weekend.
In general, the student will benefit more if the student comes to the session prepared with questions and requests for types of problems and with examples from homework or tests. We can use time better during sessions if the student sends materials at least 24 hours before the session begins.
Copyright © 2021 VCMTC - All Rights Reserved.